apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leff...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: need some info about unsetenv on other platforms
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:06:19 GMT
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was just looking into the setenv / unsetenv stuff in APR, and found
> that we assume that unsetenv doesnt have a return value on all
> platforms. I have searched a bit, and found these:
> http://linux.die.net/man/3/setenv
> http://www.manpagez.com/man/3/unsetenv/
> from that it seems that there are newer versions of unsetenv() out which
> return an int and set errno. I've tested this on Linux 2.6.27.29, and I
> dont get an error back when I try to unsetenv a non-existent var ...
> now I would like to get some info about how MacOSX and *BSD platforms
> behave - see attached sample for a quick test. Form the docu at least
> MacOSX should return EINVAL for a non-existent var ...
>
> thanks, Gün.

MacOS X 10.5.8 (MacBook Pro):

Osiris JL: gcc -o testenv -Wall testenv.c
Osiris JL: ./testenv
setenv(FOOBAR_EMPTY) rv = 0, errno = 0
unsetenv(FOOBAR_EMPTY) rv = 0, errno = 0
unsetenv(FOOBAR_NONEXISTING) rv = 0, errno = 0
Osiris JL:

Solaris 10 (SPARC )

Black JL: gcc -o testenv testenv.c -Wall
Black JL: ./testenv
setenv(FOOBAR_EMPTY) rv = 0, errno = 0
unsetenv(FOOBAR_EMPTY) rv = 0, errno = 0
unsetenv(FOOBAR_NONEXISTING) rv = 0, errno = 0
Black JL:

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler@gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org