apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r822263 - /apr/apr-util/branches/1.4.x/CHANGES
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:20:18 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
>
>> We certainly should not be making end user's lives more difficult for
>> the sake of saving a few bytes.
>
> This is not about saving a few bytes.  It is about getting needless
> implementation details out of the documentation.

Precisely.  The changes file is not for developers, not for egos, it exists
entirely for the benefit of end users, who don't know the different between
one trunk pre-apr-1.4.0 and released apr-1.4.0.

Anyone following trunk is following *svn commits*.  The egoboo derives from
svn commits.  Only the necessary information to tell consumers (end users)
"what changed?!?" belongs in CHANGES.

>> On this basis, my -1 stands. Please revert the CHANGES (so to speak).
>
> You cannot veto documentation.

Rather; you must provide a technical rational for your veto, and reading the
post which Jeff has replied to, it is groundless.

Every point you raised would have applied to changes made after 1.4.0 had been
released, if applied to the code prior to 1.4.1.  All of the points were very
salient.  And they were apropos of nothing; APR 1.4.x does not exist until this
group releases it, and we have not.