apr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR 1.4 status (and backport)
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 19:44:24 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>  * including those backports, is 1.4.0 ready, or do we need to revert
>>    API's which are not sufficiently thought out?  The apr_crypto interfaces
>>    were rejected at 1.3.0, and it would be time to reopen that discussion.
> The apr_crypto interfaces were rejected at v1.3.0, completely thrown out
> and rewritten from scratch specifically addressing the original issues
> with v1.3.0.
> The reasons for the original v1.3.0 objections have been gone for a very
> long time.

Agreed, and which is entirely my point; that code review passed, and the new code
hadn't actually been sufficiently reviewed.  Just pointing this out to encourage
people to thoroughly review the new API.

>>  * a larger question, is 2.0.0 ready?  Are there additional API improvements
>>    required to call it baked?  Does it fix enough awkward bugs in the static
>>    1.x.x API's to suggest that users move over already?  If 2.0.0 is ready,
>>    I can see wisdom in not pushing out a 1.4 at all.
> The LDAP issue in v2.0 needs fixing, and that needs to be done properly,
> not rushed for the benefit of getting httpd out the door.

Correct, so as we previously agreed, apr_ldap would be dropped from 2.0 if the
project wishes to move ahead.

> Whatever mistakes we make in v2.0 will have to wait till v3.0 to be fixed.


View raw message