apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR 1.4 status (and backport)
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:52:24 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> With the hope for the httpd project to start pushing for a 2.4
> release, it has a dependency on apr 1.4 (actually 2.0, but I'm
> getting to that). Now that we have a pretty stable 1.3.x branch,
> I'd like us to put some effort into a 1.4.0 release. With that
> in mind, I'm also looking at backporting some 2.0 features to
> 1.4.0, esp the apr_pollcb_create_ex() (et.al.) stuff.
> Comments?

 * any particular feature you work to copy from 2.0 to 1.4 without
   breaking 1.x.x binary ABI sounds terrific.

 * including those backports, is 1.4.0 ready, or do we need to revert
   API's which are not sufficiently thought out?  The apr_crypto interfaces
   were rejected at 1.3.0, and it would be time to reopen that discussion.
   I'm pretty sure there haven't been enough eyeballs attending to this.

 * a larger question, is 2.0.0 ready?  Are there additional API improvements
   required to call it baked?  Does it fix enough awkward bugs in the static
   1.x.x API's to suggest that users move over already?  If 2.0.0 is ready,
   I can see wisdom in not pushing out a 1.4 at all.

If you didn't have a particular timetable, what if we used Tuesday hackathon
at ApacheCon to really push out a 2.0.0 or 1.4.0, resolving the last of the
open complaints f2f.  In the meantime, figure out what isn't suitable for
either 1.4.0 or 2.0.0, move whatever features you like to 1.4.0, and really
polish the build schema changes for 2.0.0, ensuring that it builds correctly
under the classic (deprecated) schemas or scons.

Other thoughts about 1.4.0 or 2.0.0?

View raw message