apr-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: APR 1.4 status (and backport)
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 18:31:07 GMT
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> With the hope for the httpd project to start pushing for a 2.4
>> release, it has a dependency on apr 1.4 (actually 2.0, but I'm
>> getting to that). Now that we have a pretty stable 1.3.x branch,
>> I'd like us to put some effort into a 1.4.0 release. With that
>> in mind, I'm also looking at backporting some 2.0 features to
>> 1.4.0, esp the apr_pollcb_create_ex() (et.al.) stuff.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>  * any particular feature you work to copy from 2.0 to 1.4 without
>   breaking 1.x.x binary ABI sounds terrific.
>
>  * including those backports, is 1.4.0 ready, or do we need to revert
>   API's which are not sufficiently thought out?  The apr_crypto interfaces
>   were rejected at 1.3.0, and it would be time to reopen that discussion.
>   I'm pretty sure there haven't been enough eyeballs attending to this.
>
>  * a larger question, is 2.0.0 ready?  Are there additional API improvements
>   required to call it baked?  Does it fix enough awkward bugs in the static
>   1.x.x API's to suggest that users move over already?  If 2.0.0 is ready,
>   I can see wisdom in not pushing out a 1.4 at all.
>
> If you didn't have a particular timetable, what if we used Tuesday hackathon
> at ApacheCon to really push out a 2.0.0 or 1.4.0, resolving the last of the
> open complaints f2f.  In the meantime, figure out what isn't suitable for
> either 1.4.0 or 2.0.0, move whatever features you like to 1.4.0, and really
> polish the build schema changes for 2.0.0, ensuring that it builds correctly
> under the classic (deprecated) schemas or scons.
>
> Other thoughts about 1.4.0 or 2.0.0?

Do it way before apachecon IMO.  Wait until apachecon to _talk_ about
it, we would be lucky to ship this year.

I'd like to at an absolute minimum have SCons working as the default
build on win32, and a viable choice on *nix, but ENOTIME with
everything else I've got going on this fall.

-Paul