apr-dev mailing list archives

From Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org>
Subject Re: Mac OS X Universal builds and APR
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:54:44 GMT

On 20 Oct 2009, at 04:18, Branko ─îibej wrote:

> Barry Scott wrote:
>> I think the problem is that configure is used to find out things that
>> change arch to arch
>> like void * size rather then using preprocessor detection of those
>> things.
> I wonder, how do you detect the size of void* with the preprocessor in
> C? The preprocessor doesn't understand sizeof.

You detect that its a build on mac os x and then use the CPU feature
that the compiler defines to choose 4 or 8. You end up writing code
like this:

#ifdef __APPLE__
#ifdef __x86_64__
its Mac intel 64

>> Testings for API functions being present would be arch independent.
> That depends, doesn't it? There's no guarantee that you have the same
> external libraries available in several different flavours.

If you are talking about Mac OS X features then yes you have the same
on all arch.

For example if I can build APR as a fat binary
Then I can build subversion as a fat binary
And then I can build pysvn as a fat binary

As an example python can be built for powerpc and intel for both 32 bit
and 64 bit in one go. I don't even need a powerpc Mac expect for testing
the resulting build.

>> On windows don't you just ship the answers as if configure had run?
> That's because there's no "configure" tool for Windows. I surely hope
> SCons will be able to help here, because the various hacks necessary
> customize the Windows build are not tasty.

My point is that it can be done without configure running.

View raw message