apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r824767 - in /apr/apr/trunk: build/apr_hints.m4 configure.in include/apr.h.in include/apr_os_override.h include/arch/darwin/ include/arch/darwin/apr_darwin_types.h
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:00:01 GMT
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 07:24:55PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> Joe; what you fail to realize is that your definition of 'nuts' is precisely
> Apple's definition of an ABI (parallel, multiple platform architectures).

Eh?  The Reality Distortion Field does not extend to the definition of
"ABI".  Apple support multiple platform ABIs and can build executables
which contain multiple chunks of object code, each compiled for a
different ABI/architecture.

If the compiler is doing this by default, the results of the configure
script *cannot* be relied upon to be accurate accross all the ABIs the
compiler is using.  What do you disagree with in that statement?

This starts at AC_CHECK_SIZEOF and goes all the way to the detection of
e.g. an expat library.  How do you know whether the detected expat is
built for all the ABIs your compiler is building for?  Answer: you
don't, you're guessing, and a configure script for which all the results
are only half true is worse than useless.

Reducing half of our configure-time tests to build-time compiler macro
tests for one platform is not going to be maintainable.  Why is it
useful for Joe Random APR User to be building for more than one ABI in
the first place?  Why the heck would he care?  Just pick a default and
run with it by setting $CC to select an ABI.

Regards, Joe