apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r813390 - /apr/apr/branches/1.4.x/STATUS
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:43:23 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Just wanted to have a paper trail for the ctr

That sounds like inflicting unnecessary 'process' on the project :)

APR certainly differs from httpd significantly, in that backports
to the supported/shipped branch are almost always clear-cut choices
dictated by the versioning rules.  httpd plays much more fast and
lose with the sorts of things that go into a 'stable' branch, and
there are judgment calls to be made beyond 'is this code correct?'.

Perhaps an up-down vote on an entirely new set of API's for 1.4
would be appropriate, if we had such an example, and if anyone was
actively championing 1.4.  But it looks more and more likely that
2.0 will ship before 1.4 and that branch will simply never be born.
We forked it only to allow progress on fixing existing API's while
ensuring we -could- ship another 1.x release, if the PMC chooses to.