On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hey William,
>
> I just downloaded APR util 1.3.9 and APR 1.3.8 and I am still unable to
> build on Windows. Below is the output I'm getting. Are there certain
> steps I need to follow once I download the tarballs? Files I have to
> rename? etc?

> _tbl_simple.c
> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
> '..\..\apr\Release\libapr-1.lib'
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\link.EXE"' : return code '0x49d'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\NMAKE.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.

Because of the way the libs are bound to one another (it's reasonably
bogus but we don't really want to change this before APR 2.0 lest folks
get really confused) they need the relative path ..\..\apr.

If you were building the dynamic libs, this wouldn't be a problem,
because those will seek through the LIB path.

try naming your apr, apr-iconv and apr-util dirs in the same directory
and your build will complete, no issues.  I'll give this still just
a bit more thought.

Yes, it works as expected if I keep the directories as siblings as you mentioned. I have one unrelated question, though. I mentioned this earlier too.

The NEON library (I think that's the one) expects the apr libraries to be in a "Release" directory (e.g. apr\Release\apr-1.lib). So my question is: Which library is broken? Is NEON wrong to assume the libraries will be located in such a directory, or is APR wrong for putting the final libraries in a LibR directory instead of a Release directory?

Thanks for your time.