apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] DBDPersist Off in vhost causes startup error log entries
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 04:22:24 GMT
A post on users@httpd highlights inconsistent practice in apr.

On 17 Aug 2009, at 01:48, Peter Horn wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've been running Apache 2.2.9 / PHP 5.2.6 / Win XP SP3 with 3
> named vhosts for about a year with no real problems. Recently I
> added a fourth vhost to run a Drupal site. This involved adding
> mySQL, and it all worked after the usual few setup iterations.
> After the site was running happily for a couple of weeks, I
> revisited the setup and removed 'DBDPersist Off' from the vhost.
> After I did this, I get the following messages in the error log at
> startup, even though the site subsequently appears to work
> correctly and there are no 'runtime' errors:
>
> [Sat Aug 15 12:25:22 2009] [error] (OS 126)The specified module
> could not be found.  : DBD: mod_dbd not compatible with APR in
> get_driver
> [Sat Aug 15 12:25:22 2009] [error] (OS 126)The specified module
> could not be found.  : DBD: failed to initialise

Problem: The user has got a confusing error message.

Diagnosis: apr_dso_load and apr_dso_sym on Windows platform
return an OS error instead of an APR error on failure.

As an APR user, mod_dbd handles the APR errors APR_EDSOOPEN
and APR_ESYMNOTFOUND and gives the user a tailored error
message.  That was based on the behaviour of unix/apr_dso.

It's an inconsistency, and IMHO it's the Windows that should
be fixed.  APR is supposed to shield applications from this
kind of platform-specific detail.

Quick survey of other APR platforms:
aix, beos, netware, os390 - conform to UNIX behaviour.
os2 - uses APR_FROM_OS_ERROR

So the safest/most consistent thing would seem to be to
fixup both Windows and OS2.  Thoughts?

--
Nick Kew