apr-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: need a solution with APR DSO
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:27:56 GMT
Bill,
William A. Rowe, Jr. schrieb:
> Guenter, I really missed nothing.  My point was that it consumes
> process resources to load an ldap support library, which are not
> needed by all apr consuming applications (in fact, needed only
> by a tiny minority of applications.)
I cant resist to think that you somehow dislike LDAP at all ....
also I disagree with your point of view with 'tiny minority' and '10%
only'; in fact almost every server platform has an LDAP server running
(including W2K3), and makes use of it as user database and for access
control, thus I would more tend to believe that 50% of all APR
installations making use of LDAP support - at least when httpd is the
APR consumer; and if I build my own LDAP-aware application upon APR then
100% of my users will use LDAP ...
finally please keep in mind that I dont want to change any defaults - I
expect 100% same settings and functionality after we have changed what I
propose; but I want to be able to control DSO/static with a simple edit
of a define, and without need for patching code at various places.

> Thanks for reminding us of the Novell SDK as well :)
you're welcome!

Guen.