apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: need a solution with APR DSO
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:11:57 GMT
On 10/08/09 17:15, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>> IMHO every module should have an configure option to either
>> build statically or as DSO, not as right now (all or none)
>
> -1... yes it might be present, but it is a waste of process resource
> to have a fixed binding for the 90% of apr apps that don't make ldap
> queries.  The idea is to pull in only the bindings used and save
> a bunch of effort in the run time linker resolution table.  It gets
> worse and worse as apr offers more lib support.  And this is nothing
> more than what 'just in time' run time linking does, anyways, only
> we rolled our own.  Do we need 15 additional libraries loaded for
> 'hello world'?

I simply hate when people start throwing -1's all over the places.
This is what? Your 1000th -1?.

I didn't said it should be default linked in, but it should have
an option to decide at compile time weather to build it statically
or as a module. OTOH if application needs ldap then its a waste of
time and resource to call the LoadLibrary (or do that 15 times for each
additional module)

Regards
--
^TM