apr-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Dailey <rcdai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem building using nmake on Windows
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:39:52 GMT
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Robert Dailey wrote:
> > Hey William,
> >
> > I just downloaded APR util 1.3.9 and APR 1.3.8 and I am still unable to
> > build on Windows. Below is the output I'm getting. Are there certain
> > steps I need to follow once I download the tarballs? Files I have to
> > rename? etc?
>
> > _tbl_simple.c
> > LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
> > '..\..\apr\Release\libapr-1.lib'
> > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> > Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\link.EXE"' : return code '0x49d'
> > Stop.
> > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> > Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\NMAKE.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
> > Stop.
>
> Because of the way the libs are bound to one another (it's reasonably
> bogus but we don't really want to change this before APR 2.0 lest folks
> get really confused) they need the relative path ..\..\apr.
>
> If you were building the dynamic libs, this wouldn't be a problem,
> because those will seek through the LIB path.
>
> try naming your apr, apr-iconv and apr-util dirs in the same directory
> and your build will complete, no issues.  I'll give this still just
> a bit more thought.

Yes, it works as expected if I keep the directories as siblings as you
mentioned. I have one unrelated question, though. I mentioned this earlier
too.

The NEON library (I think that's the one) expects the apr libraries to be in
a "Release" directory (e.g. apr\Release\apr-1.lib). So my question is: Which
library is broken? Is NEON wrong to assume the libraries will be located in
such a directory, or is APR wrong for putting the final libraries in a LibR
directory instead of a Release directory?

Thanks for your time.