I tried exactly what you suggested, now I get:

E:\IT\personal\haresvn\temp\apr-util>nmake -f aprutil.mak

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

No configuration specified. Defaulting to aprutil - Win32 Release.
        cd ".\xml\expat\lib"
        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" /                   /F
 ".\xml.mak" CFG="xml - Win32 Release"

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

        if not exist ".\LibR/" mkdir ".\LibR"
        tempfile.bat
NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '.\expat.h.in'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' :
 return code '0x2'
Stop.

Sincerely,
Robert Dailey

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:29 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
Robert Dailey wrote:
> I would really appreciate a response to the inquiry quoted below.
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com
> <mailto:rcdailey@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Currently I have the following versions:
>
>     apr: 0.9.18
>     apr-iconv: 0.9.7
>     apr-util: 0.9.17
>
>     I've renamed all of them to their respective names in the same
>     directory as the build instructions require.

The goal in this package was to avoid that aspect of the instructions,
provided you identify the paths of apr, apr-util and apr-iconv.  However
it seems things did not work out as planed;

How do I specify the paths of apr, apr-util, and apr-iconv without renaming them?

>     I go to the apr-util directory and execute:
>
>     nmake /f aprutil.mak
>
>     It looks like things build normally until I see this (Note that this
>     is just a snippet from the very bottom of all the output, there is
>     far more above but I have left it out):
>
>     NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '"apr.h"'
>     Stop.
>
>     Notice the error at the bottom of the snippet above. Why is this
>     happening?

I suspect it is because I attempted to to introduce ${INCLUDES} into the
dependencies, to find the related packages, and fix the search path to pick
up the includes.

In the apr\ tree, please try doing a 'del *.dep /s' and let me know if that
fixes things for you.  I plan to resolve this and repackage.  The 2nd most
recent apr 1.3 release suffered from similar issues, and with the newest
apr 1.3 release I scuttled this effort for an entirely different approach.

I will try this and get back with you later. Thanks a lot for your help.