apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject APR_FOPEN_SENDFILE_ENABLED
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 23:24:07 GMT
#define APR_FOPEN_SENDFILE_ENABLED 0x01000 /**< Advisory flag that this
                                              file should support
                                              apr_socket_sendfile
operation */

Is there a reason why this flag is not always enabled? If the OS
supports sendfile, we should probably always prepare it for sendfile.
By requiring this flag, we are unnecessarily binding the open() and
sendfile() calls, which in the case of httpd pretty much means that
sendfile() isn't getting used everywhere that it could be (eg. in
various modules). The only place where I see that this flag makes a
difference is on windows when testing for unicode support. Can we just
set it up so that the descriptor returned from apr_file_open() can
always optionally be used in an apr_socket_sendfile() call if later
desired, and if the OS supports it, or will that cause problems on any
non-unix platforms?

-aaron