apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Looking for final determination on shipping binary dbd/dbm stubs
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:03:14 GMT

On 30 Jul 2009, at 06:13, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> In between are mysql and db which both have copy-left viral terms
> but are not GPL per say.  I thought we had worked out that
> apr_dbd_mysql
> is ok, but I can't find the notes :(

re: MySQL

If it helps, I just checked back in my blog:
http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2007/08/08/apacheapr-mysql-driver/

It's clear the date of that blog article follows  discussion on-list
that led to the decision to include it, and it sets out the terms on
which we distribute it as I see it:

"Suppose we were distributing a non-free product that was arguably a
MySQL “derivative work” under the terms of the GPL. We could
negotiate terms with MySQL. For a commercial product, that would
probably mean paying them money, but that’s beside the point. Under
our agreement with MySQL, we can distribute our product on our agreed
terms, without reference to the GPL. No problem.

But that’s exactly what the FOSS Exception gives us. Explicit
permission to distribute our product under the ASL. We didn’t pay for
it, but we got it anyway. End of problem."

--
Nick Kew