apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leff...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r790442 - /apr/apr/branches/1.4.x/NOTICE
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:09:19 GMT
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >
> > May I ask why you decided to do that?  Are you aware that the
> > three characters (c) have no meaning in copyright law, whereas
> > the special character © is synonymous with "Copyright"?
>
> Principally so that grep would behave in a sensible way, although one
> can argue that searching for "Copyright {prev}" is just as efficient.
>
> Got tired of searching through reams of the string "2008"
>
> > IIRC, Larry pointed that out when we last updated all the
> > copyright header docs.
>
> Interesting.  So does this nullify the claim, or is it extraneous
> noise that yet preserves our claim?
>
> I'm happy to back it out, but there is a release in process with
> this particular change.

The difficulty with the copyright symbol is that it doesn't have the some
code point in all code sets, though ISO 8859-1, 8859-15, and CP1252 all
place it at 0xA9.  OTOH, if the file is encoded as UTF-8, it needs to be
represented as 0xC2 0xA9 - which then looks funny when treated as 8859-1 or
whatever.

One way of avoiding the issue is to use '(c) Copyright 2009 Whoever'; the
legal folks only look at 'Copyright 2009 Whoever' and it is preceded by some
funny characters that don't matter, but to the rest of us, the (c) or (C)
looks enough like the copyright symbol to be recognizable.

(8859-2 .. 6 do not have © at 0xA9; 8859-7 .. 9 do; 10-11 don't; 12 doesn't
exist, and 13-15 do -- see http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html)

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler@gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org