apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r798326 - in /apr/apr-util/branches/1.3.x: CHANGES build/rpm/apr-util.spec.in
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 00:25:24 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> -0.5, can you clarify why this isn't true from the Makefile itself?
> This just didn't seem like a rpm-specific quirk.

On MacOSX, libtool does the right thing, and ./testall is a script that
picks up the right libraries from the right place. On Linux, ./testall
is the final binary, and so only picks up libs from LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

It looks like this is caused by a flag called "-no-install" which is
passed to libtool, and I find this hard wired into configure.in:

# Use -no-install to link the test programs on all platforms
# but Darwin, where it would cause the programs to be linked
# against installed versions of libapr instead of those just
# built.
case $host in
*-apple-darwin*) LT_NO_INSTALL="" ;;
*) LT_NO_INSTALL="-no-install" ;;
esac
AC_SUBST(LT_NO_INSTALL)

So, anyone know who put this there, and why?

Can anyone explain, given we use autoconf and libtool already, why we
aren't using automake? Or is it a case of it was just always like this?
A simple Makefile.am makes all of this go away, in theory.

Regards,
Graham