apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release APR 1.3.7
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:55:16 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>> So all is basically well, but it would be good to compile
>>> by default with the same compiler as `which cc` on the
>>> host system!
>>
>> Agreed, but this is a regression?
>
> No.
>
> Just something that didn't affect me when my platforms
> were Linux/BSD/Mac, and that I've hitherto silently
> worked around on Solaris.  Having had it hit me when
> I was composing a post to dev@ seemed like a good
> occasion to raise the issue!

Yup - but is your "default" really cc?  E.g. what does CC=cc
as a global do for you?

I agree it is strange that 'default' CC is gcc, but then again,
we are using a gnu toolchain, so did we expect any different?

Many offbeat platforms do have cc as a default, even Solaris,
which is not their modern compiler.  Instead it's often a pre C89
or otherwise less reliable/less feature-rich compiler.  So the
system default of CC=gcc actually makes a fair amount of sense.

Bill