apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r790442 - /apr/apr/branches/1.4.x/NOTICE
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:08:19 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> May I ask why you decided to do that?  Are you aware that the
> three characters (c) have no meaning in copyright law, whereas
> the special character © is synonymous with "Copyright"?

Principally so that grep would behave in a sensible way, although one
can argue that searching for "Copyright {prev}" is just as efficient.

Got tired of searching through reams of the string "2008"

> IIRC, Larry pointed that out when we last updated all the
> copyright header docs.

Interesting.  So does this nullify the claim, or is it extraneous
noise that yet preserves our claim?

I'm happy to back it out, but there is a release in process with
this particular change.