apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r794485 - /apr/apr/trunk/configure.in
Date Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:36:17 GMT
On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 08:18 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> Since I'm one of those Debian people who wanted the runtime detection
> in the past:  No, we can't do that.
>
> The apr (and all other packages) are built by build daemons on various
> different architectures.  We, as the packagers of apr, don't control
> those at all.  So far, we have specified a minimum version and
> disabled all features that need a newer kernel version, which
> obviously isn't great either.
>
> So: +1 from me on doing runtime detection.

Sorry, still not convinced. If a particular build system sucks, be that
whichever distribution, then the build system should be fixed. I do not
see why everyone should be penalised at run time for someone else's
bugs.

I'll quote from APR project page:
-------------------
The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) project is to create
and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and
consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
The primary goal is to provide an API to which software developers may
code and be assured of predictable if not identical behaviour regardless
of the platform on which their software is built, relieving them of the
need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of
platform-specific deficiencies or features.

I don't think the above says anything about building APR on one platform
and then running it on another. I could be wrong, of course. And, as
always, if other folks think doing runtime detection is the way to go,
then we'll do that.

--
Bojan