apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r794485 - /apr/apr/trunk/configure.in
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:05:46 GMT
On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 09:27 +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> In the past I have argued we should never do runtime platform feature
> detection, i.e., if accept4() works at build-time, we can presume it
> works at run-time.  I think I need to soften that position now; use of
> a modern userspace on an older kernel seems to be very widespread in
> Xen hosting sites.  I shipped socket(,SOCK_CLOEXEC) support in neon
> and got lots of complaints, from users across the spectrum of
> distributions.

Shouldn't these people build their runtime using the older kernel then?
It is bad enough that we need to do "will it really work" gymnastics at
build time. If we go down the road of runtime checks, we'll soon be
testing for all kinds of stuff, wasting lots of CPU cycles.

PS. This is obviously some kind of Xen bug (i.e. inability to run the
latest kernel). Shouldn't they be fixing it?

--
Bojan