apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r790442 - /apr/apr/branches/1.4.x/NOTICE
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:13:49 GMT
On Jul 2, 2009, at 3:08 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>> May I ask why you decided to do that?  Are you aware that the
>> three characters (c) have no meaning in copyright law, whereas
>> the special character © is synonymous with "Copyright"?
>
> Principally so that grep would behave in a sensible way, although one
> can argue that searching for "Copyright {prev}" is just as efficient.

Searching for "Copyright" is what I do.

> Got tired of searching through reams of the string "2008"
>
>> IIRC, Larry pointed that out when we last updated all the
>> copyright header docs.
>
> Interesting.  So does this nullify the claim, or is it extraneous
> noise that yet preserves our claim?

Noise.  We don't even need the line -- copyright exists even without
the notice (unless someone excluded from the right does the authoring,
like US government employees).

> I'm happy to back it out, but there is a release in process with
> this particular change.

It is now inconsistent with all the other projects, but don't let
that hold back a release.

....Roy