apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [MAINTAINER] devel/apr-gdbm-db42: apr-util 1.3.7 breaks dbd support
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:58:24 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 09:03:16AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
>> As a packager, I can see how you might view 1.3.4-> as a minor version rev,
>> but from the perspective of any user deploying a package linked against
>> 1.3.4 and migrating to 1.3.7, no packages need to be recompiled.  That is
>> binary compatibility.
>
> This is a source compatibility issue though, just as it was when the
> LDAP buildfoo was broken in the same way.

No; the dbm and dbd are complete abstractions.

We all agree, the ldap "source" compatibility relied on using a combination
of ldap API's and apr_ldap features, and that was certainly considered
broken.

> Also I can't see that the threadsafety issues in the DBM DSO-ification
> was ever resolved, am I missing something?

You are not missing anything, and solutions are welcomed.  This was not
unique to dbm (or ldap), it existed since 1.3.0 for dbd.

Trivial to fix when we rejigger things in 2.0, because we have a clean
opportunity to change the API plus the fact that apr's init can cause
various initialization of apr-util features, now that they are one lib.