apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [MAINTAINER] devel/apr-gdbm-db42: apr-util 1.3.7 breaks dbd support
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:03:16 GMT
Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 17:29 +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>> PS. We do have a workaround for ldap along these lines, where we
>> report ldap in --libs, unless --avoid-ldap is passed to the config
>> script. Maybe we should do this here, to avoid breaking compilation
>> compatibility. Opinions?
>
> Quick and dirty...

I'd accept that patch on a technical basis +1, although I still argue
that it's totally unnecessary.  The LDAP variant was necessary because
the apr_ldap API is bogus.  The apr_dbm and apr_dbd API's were much better
thought out.

Build systems shouldn't be relying on obtaining dependencies 'accidentally'
from other dependencies, which is what happened here w/ Subversion.  We
provided a contract for a generic interface "to a database", they leveraged
this by coincidence.  My vote is -1 for the necessity of the patch, for
a net vote of 0.  let's see what the folks here believe with respect to
db providers?

As a packager, I can see how you might view 1.3.4-> as a minor version rev,
but from the perspective of any user deploying a package linked against
1.3.4 and migrating to 1.3.7, no packages need to be recompiled.  That is
binary compatibility.