apr-dev mailing list archives

From Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <arfrever....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MAINTAINER] devel/apr-gdbm-db42: apr-util 1.3.7 breaks dbd support
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:58:23 GMT
2009-06-09 09:29:20 Bojan Smojver napisaƂ(a):
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 03:18 -0400, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> > libsvn_fs_base is compiled if BDB support is detected.
>
> I think it calls Berkeley DB API directly, not via APU. Hence, the fact
> that -ldb was part of apu-1-config --libs, was just a historical
> accident.
>
> If a program calls apr_dbm*(), APU will load relevant support as DSO, so
> user doesn't need to link directly to the actual underlying DB library.
> If that particular DB type is not supported (i.e. not compiled in),
> error will be returned. That's my understanding.
>
> PS. We do have a workaround for ldap along these lines, where we report
> ldap in --libs, unless --avoid-ldap is passed to the config script.
> Maybe we should do this here, to avoid breaking compilation
> compatibility. Opinions?

As a Subversion developer, I would not like to see more useless libraries
in the output of `apu-1-config --libs`. apu-1-config doesn't ignore
unrecognized options, so we couldn't unconditionally pass --avoid-dbm
option.

I also think that the syntax of argument of --with-berkeley-db option
of Subversion's configure script is logical and appropriate :) .

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis