apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [MAINTAINER] devel/apr-gdbm-db42: apr-util 1.3.7 breaks dbd support
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:14:26 GMT
On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:58:24AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 09:03:16AM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> >> As a packager, I can see how you might view 1.3.4-> as a minor version rev,
> >> but from the perspective of any user deploying a package linked against
> >> 1.3.4 and migrating to 1.3.7, no packages need to be recompiled.  That is
> >> binary compatibility.
> >
> > This is a source compatibility issue though, just as it was when the
> > LDAP buildfoo was broken in the same way.
>
> No; the dbm and dbd are complete abstractions.

You can't come along after the fact and draw compatibility lines
wherever you please.

APR-util has historically exported the DB library dependency.
Applications depend on this.  It is part of the build API -- e.g.
`apu-N-config --db-version` has no purpose otherwise.

Breaking the exported dependency breaks source backwards compatibility.

> > Also I can't see that the threadsafety issues in the DBM DSO-ification
> > was ever resolved, am I missing something?
>
> You are not missing anything, and solutions are welcomed.  This was not
> unique to dbm (or ldap), it existed since 1.3.0 for dbd.

The DBD API was written with an explicit process-global initializer, so
it is not correct that the same problem exists there.  I haven't looked
at the LDAP crap.

joe