apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r783970 - in /apr/apr/branches/1.4.x: ./ file_io/netware/ file_io/unix/ include/arch/unix/ network_io/unix/ poll/unix/
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:53:17 GMT
On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 00:26 -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I don't have an objection, it seems you thought this out, but I don't
> always seem to have a buy in over what is "compatibility" - you might
> want the opinion of one or more port maintainers ;)

OK, I'll be waiting for more opinions on this. Thank you for yours!

The "thought out" bit for me here boils down to this:
If an fd was opened through APR API and it was not marked to be
inherited or without cleanup, then it should not be available in the
child process to apps that call fork() directly. The present situation,
where such fds are available in the child process is a bug.

If the above statement breaks compatibility, then obviously the
reasoning for having this patch in 1.3.x (and possibly even 1.4.x) is
not correct. Hope this helps other port maintainers when casting their

View raw message