apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: [MAINTAINER] devel/apr-gdbm-db42: apr-util 1.3.7 breaks dbd support
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 07:29:20 GMT
On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 03:18 -0400, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> libsvn_fs_base is compiled if BDB support is detected.

I think it calls Berkeley DB API directly, not via APU. Hence, the fact
that -ldb was part of apu-1-config --libs, was just a historical
accident.

If a program calls apr_dbm*(), APU will load relevant support as DSO, so
user doesn't need to link directly to the actual underlying DB library.
If that particular DB type is not supported (i.e. not compiled in),
error will be returned. That's my understanding.

PS. We do have a workaround for ldap along these lines, where we report
ldap in --libs, unless --avoid-ldap is passed to the config script.
Maybe we should do this here, to avoid breaking compilation
compatibility. Opinions?

--
Bojan