apr-dev mailing list archives

From <Daniel.Poc...@barclayscapital.com>
Subject RE: apr-1-config on mixed 32/64bit build server
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:38:03 GMT

> | - the output of `apr-X-config --ld-flags' will always be .../lib or
> | .../lib64, depending on which version of apr-X-config was installed
> | most recently
>
> You should not add the -L path if it's part of the system
> search path as that'll confuse gcc in some cases.

In my case, apr is being installed to a non-standard location (under
/opt) with some enterprise management tools (e.g. Ganglia).  Therefore,
-L is required, and the gmond binaries (e.g. gmond) use the RPATH to
find apr.

> | I'm not suggesting apr needs to implement something special
> for every
> | weird setup.  Rather, it just needs a generalisation that can be
> | applied in the most popular cases (probably RHEL and Debian).  Some
> | possible solutions that I haven't completely thought through:
>
> In Debian, if you want to build for another environment, use
> a chroot (or a VM).

What about the special case of creating 32 bit libs for an amd64
install?  In this case, the 32 bit libs go under /usr/lib32 or something
similar (opposite to Redhat, which puts the 64 bit libs under
/usr/lib64)

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected
to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC,
Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays
Group.