apr-dev mailing list archives

From leigh...@mail.eecis.udel.edu
Subject Re: HTTP over SCTP
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:47:04 GMT
We are currently beginning work on adding SCTP support to APR.  This is
a brief description of what we plan to do and why, and is meant to be an
open invitation for comment from interested members of the APR
community.

Over the past few years some interesting work has been done on using
HTTP over SCTP, and interest has grown to the point where an Internet
Draft is in progress
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-natarajan-http-over-sctp-01).  The
topic also generated a lot of positive interest at the recent HTTPbis WG
meeting in San Francisco.

Past work includes hacked versions of Apache's httpd and Mozilla's
Firefox browser to demonstrate some potential benefits of HTTP over
SCTP.  (See for example http://www.cis.udel.edu/~leighton/)  Work is
nearly complete on a patch to add SCTP support to Mozilla's NSPR
library, for all supported platforms.  The motivation for the NSPR work
is primarily to support adding HTTP over SCTP capability to Firefox.

Our interest in APR is similar in that ultimately we want to pursue
adding HTTP over SCTP capability to httpd.  As has been done with NSPR,
we plan to add two functions to the APR API (e.g. apr_sctp_sendmsg()) to
send/recv data on a specific SCTP stream, and to add several SCTP socket
options to set/get stream and association related information.  The
apr_sctp_sendmsg()/recvmsg() API is necessary to take advantage of SCTP's
features.

We expect to post a patch for review once we have a working version.
SCTP is available on linux, *BSD, Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X (Intel
and PowerPC), Solaris and Open Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX, and possibly
other platforms as well.

Jon Leighton
University of Delaware

Preethi Natarajan