apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: apr-1-config on mixed 32/64bit build server
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 21:11:06 GMT
Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I notice that the spec file installs apr*config to bindir
>
> Makefile.in declares the filename:
> APR_CONFIG = apr-$(APR_MAJOR_VERSION)-config
>
> However, on an x86_64 platform, it may be necessary to install both 32
> and 64 bit packages concurrently.
>
> On RHEL, the 64 bit libraries can go under prefix/lib64 instead of
> prefix/lib, using the macro %_lib in the spec file.  On Debian amd64,
> the 32 bit libraries can go under a lib32 directory.
>
> The only thing that seems out of place is apr-1-config, as there is no
> bin64 or bin32 directory.  If the 32 bit and 64 bit packages are
> installed concurrently, then one of them overwrites the other's
> apr-1-config.

The only variation to gcc is the -64 flag - this should be transparent,
you should have to do nothing special until you overload your box with
multiple flavors.

Keep in mind we are not here to address packager's design mistakes, such
that we have one set of solutions for fedora and another for debian, or
similarly across bsd flavors.

So... two ideas, one is to support -32 or -64 flags to apr-2-config, and
the other would be to respect uname -m / setarch.  How to accomplish this,
though... perhaps apr-2-config.arch packages with apr-2-config resolving
to whichever it believes is correct?