apr-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Garland <...@page.ca>
Subject Re: Platform Support in APR 2.x
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:12:49 GMT
Paul, did you actually mean to collect votes for various UNIX platforms, or
to deprecated things like Netware, BeOS, and OS/2?

As you likely know, maintaining support for, say, Solaris 8 is probably
about as hard as maintaining support for AIX and sure shouldn't be disabled
were that the case.  Nick Kew is on point, if there is something wrong with
APR on a UNIX platform that I want to use, I'll just fix it and submit
patches.  I suspect that I'm not in the minority here, either.

As a long-time Solaris developer, BTW, it is not at all unusual to be in
that boat.  Especially historically speaking, FOSS has really had a "tested
on Linux and if it works on Solaris then that's great, if not, oh well" kind
of attitude.  (Note that I explicitly point out that that has never been the
case with Apache-httpd, but sure is with a lot of other things)

Wes

--
Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development