apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE crash on Cygwin
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:56:52 GMT
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:24 PM, <Daniel.Pocock@barclayscapital.com> wrote:

> > APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE isn't supported with all
> > implementations.  I expect that apr_pollset_create() is
> > returning APR_ENOTIMPL, and the crash is due to an
> > uninitialized pollset.
>
> Excellent point - I should have checked for a return code, there are a
> few cases like this in Ganglia where the return codes are ignored.
>
> I've now added this check, and apr_pollset_create is returning
> APR_SUCCESS
>
> The seg fault only occurs after the first socket is added to the
> pollset, maybe there is another place where return codes are ignored?

Hmmm...  I see that poll() or select()-based pollset implementations return
APR_ENOTIMPL when APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE is spectified, and I don't know how
Windows could use anything else under the covers ;)

> > Just curious: Does Ganglia modify the pollset on a separate
> > thread than the poll (thus needing APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE),
> > and if so why doesn't it already specify
> > APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE *and* check the apr_pollset_create()
> > return code?  And if it doesn't need it, what do you expect
> > to gain by adding it?
>
> Ganglia doesn't need it normally, it is just a single thread.  The seg
> fault occurs during the single threaded initialisation phase where
> sockets are created.
>
> However, I am taking advantage of Ganglia's new module API, and some of
> my modules start threads.  One of them, which works on Linux and
> Solaris, uses libcurl from another thread, and I was getting crashes
> until I added APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE.  Now I want to run the same code
> under Cygwin.

Weird...  I would expect that APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE is only needed with use
of the SAME pollset on multiple threads, and using libcurl from another
thread wouldn't affect Ganglia's use of its own pollset.

Sorry!

> I have tested this with apr-1.2.7 under Cygwin now, it also has the same
> issue.

Did apr-1.2.x even know about APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE?