apr-dev mailing list archives

From <Daniel.Poc...@barclayscapital.com>
Subject RE: APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE crash on Cygwin
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:12:13 GMT

> 	I've now added this check, and apr_pollset_create is returning
> 	APR_SUCCESS
>
> 	The seg fault only occurs after the first socket is added to the
> 	pollset, maybe there is another place where return
> codes are ignored?
>

> Hmmm...  I see that poll() or select()-based pollset
> implementations return APR_ENOTIMPL when
> APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE is spectified, and I don't know how
> Windows could use anything else under the covers ;)

This is the revised code, I now get my segfault on the
err_msg("apr_pollset_create success"):

  /* Create my incoming pollset */
  status = apr_pollset_create(&listen_channels, total_listen_channels,
global_context, APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE);
  if(status != APR_SUCCESS)
    {
      err_msg("apr_pollset_create failed: %s");
      exit(1);
    }
  err_msg("apr_pollset_create success");
> 	my modules start threads.  One of them, which works on Linux and
> 	Solaris, uses libcurl from another thread, and I was
> getting crashes
> 	until I added APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE.  Now I want to
> run the same code
> 	under Cygwin.
>

> Weird...  I would expect that APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE is only
> needed with use of the SAME pollset on multiple threads, and
> using libcurl from another thread wouldn't affect Ganglia's
> use of its own pollset.
>
> Sorry!
>

> 	I have tested this with apr-1.2.7 under Cygwin now, it
> also has the same
> 	issue.
>

> Did apr-1.2.x even know about APR_POLLSET_THREADSAFE?

I've just been referring to the online API docs, I didn't see version
information for this feature.

However, it definitely makes a differences if it is enabled or not.  If
I don't have this option, then gmond dies with SIGPIPE, usually at the
time when it receives an incoming TCP connection and starts writing the
response.

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected
to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC,
Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays
Group.