apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject [VOTE] LDAP in APR 2.x?
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:26:36 GMT
So, during the conversations we've had here in Amsterdam regarding
combining APR and APR-util (see post from Paul), one of the big
stumbling blocks has been our treatment of the LDAP interfaces via
APR-util.

The crux of the issue is that it is a 'leaky' abstraction - in that,
APR-util does not currently *fully* wrap the LDAP interfaces -
instead, it is viewed as augmenting the standard LDAP APIs with
treatment for LDAP-SSL, etc, etc.  This middle ground doesn't really
suit the APR philiosophy - cf. DBD and DBM interfaces.

Therefore, the consensus of the folks here is that we should pursue
one of the following courses of action:

[ ] Fix the LDAP interface to be a complete/full LDAP abstraction
[ ] Remove the LDAP interfaces from APR

Thanks.  -- justin