apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: svn commit: r758360 - in /apr/apr/trunk: include/apr_pools.h memory/unix/apr_pools.c
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:58:55 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> pquerna@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: pquerna
>> Date: Wed Mar 25 17:32:01 2009
>> New Revision: 758360

>> Log:
>> - palloc now used malloc underneath.
>> - we keep a list of malloc'ed adrresses, in a new list object, and
>> free them on clear/destroy
>> - unmanaged/core pool APIs removed.
>>

> Think we can create the memory/win32/pools.c
> that can use Heap logic and get rid entirely of
> malloc_list_t
>
> However low-fragmentation heap is present
> on XP and beyond, so malloc and malloc_list
> can be used as fallback methods

I'm sorta kinda in two minds about this. On the one hand, using
HeapAlloc is nice ... on the other hand, Microsoft's newer runtimes are
said to have a malloc that behaves much better for lots of small objects.

Of course, those would be tuned for C++ and such where you also release
those objects fairly often.

-- Brane