apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Modular APR
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:46:22 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On the topic of how to split up APR into multiple libraries, I had a
> look through the current directories, and a first cut at how I'd propose
> to split the code up would be:
>
>   (directory -> library-name [dependencies])
>
>   buckets -> libapr-buckets
>   crypto -> libapr-crypto
>   dbd -> libapr-db [libapr-buckets]
>   dbm -> libapr-db
>   ldap -> libapr-ldap (or, it disappears)
>   memcache -> libapr-memcache [libapr-buckets]
>   random -> libapr-crypto
>   xlate -> libapr-xlate
>   xml -> libapr-xml
>   util-misc/... ???
>
> and everything else into the "core" libapr.  The util-misc directory is
> a bit random, I'm not sure about what to do with that code.

IMHO having to link 55 libraries instead of one is a big pain. I prefer
just putting internal wrappers for 3rd-party stuff into external modules
that are loaded dynamically (or, optionally, linked into the base lib if
the packager prefers that). Telling the linker to "-lapr" should be
enough, regardless of the features you're using.

-- Brane