apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Modular APR
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:54:37 GMT
On 24.03.2009 17:41, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>> On the topic of how to split up APR into multiple libraries, I had a
>> look through the current directories, and a first cut at how I'd
>> propose to split the code up would be:
>>
>>   (directory -> library-name [dependencies])
>>
>>   buckets -> libapr-buckets
>>   crypto -> libapr-crypto
>>   dbd -> libapr-db [libapr-buckets]
>>   dbm -> libapr-db
>>   ldap -> libapr-ldap (or, it disappears)
>>   memcache -> libapr-memcache [libapr-buckets]
>>   random -> libapr-crypto
>>   xlate -> libapr-xlate
>>   xml -> libapr-xml
>>   util-misc/... ???
>>

> What's the technical reason for that?
> With the merging of apr and apr-util I was hoping
> we would have to care only on a single library
> and now there will be dozen of them. Scary.

The most important thing is that we move out those parts which introduce
dependencies on 3rd party libraries (well this requires a definition of 3rd
party libraries, but this is another story :-)).
So e.g. buckets might stay in the core library whereas dbd stuff at least the
drivers move out into separate so's like today.
Other examples might be xml or memcache.

Regards

RĂ¼diger