apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Modular APR
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:43:52 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>> On the topic of how to split up APR into multiple libraries, I had a
>> look through the current directories, and a first cut at how I'd
>> propose to split the code up would be:
>>
>>   (directory -> library-name [dependencies])
>>
>>   buckets -> libapr-buckets
>>   crypto -> libapr-crypto
>>   dbd -> libapr-db [libapr-buckets]
>>   dbm -> libapr-db
>>   ldap -> libapr-ldap (or, it disappears)
>>   memcache -> libapr-memcache [libapr-buckets]
>>   random -> libapr-crypto
>>   xlate -> libapr-xlate
>>   xml -> libapr-xml
>>   util-misc/... ???
>>

> What's the technical reason for that?
> With the merging of apr and apr-util I was hoping
> we would have to care only on a single library
> and now there will be dozen of them. Scary.

Yes - I think this is a little overboard, but must be balanced
by the size of the code.

If we are talking about ~16kb of .text page, then really this is
insignificant.  No OS has <64kb granularity, and soon most will
be much higher.

You can't measure LoC, you have to look at the address map and
actual bytes consumed by the load-linker.

Bill