apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [VOTE] LDAP in APR 2.x?
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:57:06 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> It will always be in the subversion history.
>
> If its redone and isn't a leaky abstraction, then sure, we can look at
> bringing it back, this vote doesn't stop that from happening.
>
> This vote is about what we want to do in the short term, and frankly
> the LDAP stuff has staggered around for years, and the split between
> mod_ldap and apr-util/ldap has never made sense to me.
>
> Either APR needs to wrap the whole thing, or it shouldn't at all,
> where we are today just causes trouble.  It doesn't matter than LDAP
> is a standard.  Lots of things are 'standard' APIs, but different
> implementations will still manage to mess it up, and I don't see LDAP
> as being any different in that regard.
>
> So, again, this is about what we are doing NOW, it doesn't prevent
> anyone from coming back to LDAP in the future and doing it 'right',
> for whatever value of 'right' it might have.

In that case we agree.

Two things I'd like to ensure that happen are:

- When I get a chance to set aside some time to sort out the LDAP
abstraction, I don't want to find people saying afterwards "oh, but I
thought we weren't doing LDAP any more"; and

- When end users suddenly see LDAP not-there in apr-2.0, and ask "and
now?", we have a clear story to tell them, and not just leave them in
the lurch.

(It is for this second reason why these kind of discussions need to be
done on-list, because someone is going to suddenly start trawling the
mailing list history for the reasons why apr-2.0 isn't supporting an API
they rely on, and without any history they will be left in the dark).

Regards,
Graham