apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [VOTE] LDAP in APR 2.x?
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:52:09 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> So, during the conversations we've had here in Amsterdam regarding
> combining APR and APR-util (see post from Paul), one of the big
> stumbling blocks has been our treatment of the LDAP interfaces via
> APR-util.
>
> The crux of the issue is that it is a 'leaky' abstraction - in that,
> APR-util does not currently *fully* wrap the LDAP interfaces -
> instead, it is viewed as augmenting the standard LDAP APIs with
> treatment for LDAP-SSL, etc, etc.  This middle ground doesn't really
> suit the APR philiosophy - cf. DBD and DBM interfaces.
>
> Therefore, the consensus of the folks here is that we should pursue
> one of the following courses of action:
>
> [ ] Fix the LDAP interface to be a complete/full LDAP abstraction
> [ ] Remove the LDAP interfaces from APR

This vote is completely premature.

What was supposed to happen is that a discussion be kicked off **on the
mailing list**, so that people fully understand why the LDAP abstraction
is as it is, and in turn people can come up with a properly thought out
way forward to address the issues within it.

Development of APR doesn't happen via conversations in Amsterdam.

-1.

Regards,
Graham