apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] LDAP in APR 2.x?
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:49:54 GMT
<4239a4320903240647x12f09613l6eb58974cd656509@mail.gmail.com>, Paul Querna
<paul@querna.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> We've actually discussed this on list for several years, and your comments
>>> for years have been 'yea, that's on me, I aught to fix that'.  Now that
>>> some folks would like to move forwards towards completing APR 2.0, there
>>> will be more of these sorts of votes.
>>
>> A far more pragmatic approach to this problem is this:
>>
>> "We want to combine apr and apr-util into apr-2.0, but we don't want to go
>> to the effort of moving across apr-ldap, because there are moves afoot to
>> have this abstraction redone. Can we move everything else, and leave
>> apr-ldap in a legacy branch until someone has the time to get this done
>> right for apr-2.0?".
>>
>> Calling for a vote saying that APR will stop supporting LDAP entirely is not
>> a pragmatic approach to this problem.
>
> It will always be in the subversion history.
>
> If its redone and isn't a leaky abstraction, then sure, we can look at
> bringing it back, this vote doesn't stop that from happening.
>
> This vote is about what we want to do in the short term, and frankly
> the LDAP stuff has staggered around for years, and the split between
> mod_ldap and apr-util/ldap has never made sense to me.
>
> Either APR needs to wrap the whole thing, or it shouldn't at all,
> where we are today just causes trouble.  It doesn't matter than LDAP
> is a standard.  Lots of things are 'standard' APIs, but different
> implementations will still manage to mess it up, and I don't see LDAP
> as being any different in that regard.
>
> So, again, this is about what we are doing NOW, it doesn't prevent
> anyone from coming back to LDAP in the future and doing it 'right',
> for whatever value of 'right' it might have.

Either put it all in mod_ldap or wrap it all in APR but don't push it off to the side again.
 That happened back in the early days of APR-util which made it difficult to build and deploy
auth-ldap.  It also left ldap basically abandon because there were only a few of us who cared
to develop the code even though there were a lot who cared to use it.  I don't know if apr_ldap
is used outside of httpd or not but one of the two projects (httpd or apr) needs to continue
with it and do it right.  Pushing off to the side isn't a solution.

Brad