apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn propchange: r747990 - svn:log
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:07:10 GMT
Stefan Fritsch wrote:

> Do you think it would be ok if this changed for 1.3/1.4 for
> stdin/out/err?

This entire patch set has me increasingly worried, as it has the strong
potential of destabilizing many apr apps.  I'm already -1 on this for the
1.3 release, and am torn between -0 and -1 to port this to 1.4.  (I have
no issues with new behaviors in 2.0, there is no contract).  Who knows
how many applications are relying on the "broken" (your definition)
behavior of APR, and please remember this is a shared, often system lib.

Let's review what -should- happen today;

     apr_file_open_stderr(&stderr_log, p)

should return stderr_log apr_file_t indicating the INHERIT flag set.  Then;

     apr_file_dup2(stderr_log, new_file, p)

should maintain the INHERIT flag on the newly dup2'ed stderr_log.

Does that make sense?