apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Poor performance with new apr_pool
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:24:59 GMT
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 03:10:56PM +0100, Mladen Turk wrote:
> What's the point?

The null hypothesis is: modern malloc implementations do exactly the
same optimisation work (e.g. maintaining freelists) that we duplicate in
APR pools.  By avoiding that duplication, and relying on malloc
optimisation, we might get better/equivalent performance whilst reducing
the complexity of APR.

So, we're testing that hypothesis.  If it's shown to be false, then, we
revert back to the old allocator.  That doesn't mean it's not worth
trying.

Also, I think it would be more useful to benchmark something like
Subversion's "make check", or an httpd load test.

joe