apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: ap_error_log bogisity
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:19:48 GMT
(cc'ing dev@apr since that's where the vformatter lives)

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:54:13AM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
> Trying to come up with ways to process large entries without
> so much copying.
>
> My thought for 2.4 is to introduce an apr_vformatter code
> modifier, '#', into the s syntax.  e.g. %#s would normalize
> any control codes into \x## or \c syntax, as appropriate.
> And %#.10s would print a fixed 10 char string including \0
> characters (a problem I encountered trying to make dumpio
> a little more efficient).

It does sound tempting - is there a one-size-fits-all escaping logic,
though?  Not sure where you'd stop otherwise... what about non-ASCII
characters...  why not have the HTML-escaping logic in there too?  There
are what, four different string-escaping routines in httpd now? It's
quite a lot of code.

Regards, Joe