On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:
That makes me think we can have that generic, allowing
different pollset providers for non-windows platforms
as well (If it makes sense of course), eg. something
like we have for proc_mutex.
(apr_proc_mutex_unix_lock_methods_t would actually become
 apr_poll_methods_t allowing choosing different
 poll providers, again where it makes sense)

I thought (worried) that this might be desired at one point, but I think it is only useful to work around bugs in our implementation or the associated system feature.  (Up go the hands of the several people trying to use ab on Leopard ;)  Have kqueue/epoll/etc. problematic in general?)

I believe it is as simple as:

select() vs. poll() is a no-brainer (*never* use the former if you have the latter)
poll() vs. kqueue/epoll/etc. for apr_pollset_foo() is similar

Mutex methods on the other hand generally have interesting tradeoffs on Unix, and the choice isn't clear.