apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WIN32] Using WSAPool for Vista+
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:42:56 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:

> That makes me think we can have that generic, allowing
> different pollset providers for non-windows platforms
> as well (If it makes sense of course), eg. something
> like we have for proc_mutex.
> (apr_proc_mutex_unix_lock_methods_t would actually become
>  apr_poll_methods_t allowing choosing different
>  poll providers, again where it makes sense)

I thought (worried) that this might be desired at one point, but I think it
is only useful to work around bugs in our implementation or the associated
system feature.  (Up go the hands of the several people trying to use ab on
Leopard ;)  Have kqueue/epoll/etc. problematic in general?)

I believe it is as simple as:

select() vs. poll() is a no-brainer (*never* use the former if you have the
poll() vs. kqueue/epoll/etc. for apr_pollset_foo() is similar

Mutex methods on the other hand generally have interesting tradeoffs on
Unix, and the choice isn't clear.

View raw message