apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r745119 - /apr/apr/trunk/configure.in
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:08:15 GMT
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 17:40, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:
> OK. I've remove it,
> although still don't understand why something optional is
> such a big deal, namely because it doesn't change anything
> regarding default build.

When the ABI can potentially change, then application developers need
to be wary of what they're linking against. As long as we can
confidently tell people "the ABI is rock solid", then those devs won't
have to worry. Introducing ABI variability into the APR ecosystem is a
Bad Thing.

>>  If you are bundling up a custom application, you can easily add some
>> later shell script to move around files however you want them to be called.
>
> It's not that easy. It requires patching the configure.in,
> but we'll have to live with that. The point is that moving isn't
> enough. One needs to rewrite the apr-config and .lai file as well,
> so making a patch to configure.in is much easier.

If APR is being packaged into a .jar for private use, then what do you
need apr-config for?

Cheers,
-g