apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r745119 - /apr/apr/trunk/configure.in
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:00:49 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 05:15:53PM +0100, Mladen Turk wrote:
>> Joe Orton wrote:
>>> Why is this useful?   Joe
>> Like log says; for creating non versioned .so.
> That doesn't tell me why it's useful, that tells me what it does.

I don't think the usage is relevant. It's up to user to
decide weather it will ship its application with embedded
apr or rely on a system one.

>> If packing the apr inside .jar for example (don't ask me why cause
>> it's work-in-progress) symlinks are unsupported, ending up in
>> duplicate file copies.
> So you really need a hack to the configure script which introduces a new
> way to break ABI compatibility with the standard build, just so you can
> avoid copying some symlinks in an obtuse distribution mechanism?  I
> don't see it.

First of all it's not a hack.
It's a perfectly legitimate way how you can build a shared library.

Any other discussion would only lead to philosophical and
political rather then technical reasons.
It's off by default, and if you don't need it, don't use it.

View raw message