apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r745119 - /apr/apr/trunk/configure.in
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:00:49 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 05:15:53PM +0100, Mladen Turk wrote:
>> Joe Orton wrote:

>>> Why is this useful?   Joe
>>>
>> Like log says; for creating non versioned .so.
>
> That doesn't tell me why it's useful, that tells me what it does.

I don't think the usage is relevant. It's up to user to
decide weather it will ship its application with embedded
apr or rely on a system one.

>> If packing the apr inside .jar for example (don't ask me why cause
>> it's work-in-progress) symlinks are unsupported, ending up in
>> duplicate file copies.
>
> So you really need a hack to the configure script which introduces a new
> way to break ABI compatibility with the standard build, just so you can
> avoid copying some symlinks in an obtuse distribution mechanism?  I
> don't see it.

First of all it's not a hack.
It's a perfectly legitimate way how you can build a shared library.

Any other discussion would only lead to philosophical and
political rather then technical reasons.
It's off by default, and if you don't need it, don't use it.

Regards
--
^(TM)